2021 Memorial Tree Planting
September 10 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pmFree
Each summer Friends of Alta offers this opportunity to people interested in having a memorial tree planted in honor of a loved one, we operate on a first come first serve basis. These trees will be acquired upon request and will be about 2 feet tall (due to the remote location of these plantings bigger trees are simply not feasible – all equipment is carried to/from the planting site). Participants of this program will receive photographic documentation of the planting and approximate location in case you want to visit the tree. Requests for planting location will be considered, however we may not be able to meet all requests. Since these trees are being planted at elevation levels above 8,000 feet in a national forest we cannot assure the survival of your tree, but we will take all best practice precautions to give your tree a healthy start.
Operations Manager: Tara Tannahill, email@example.com or 801-742-9719
Executive Director; Kody Fox, firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-742-9719
Date & Meeting Location: September 10, 2021 at the Wildcat Base.
If you cannot make this date or time, please contact us and we will be happy to find a time that works for your schedule.
Tree Donation: $300.00
Please make checks payable to Friends of Alta and mail to PO Box 8126, Alta, UT 84092. These trees are being planted on our public lands and serve a recognized benefit to the greater community so your purchase of a tree is 100% tax deductible. If you are interested in having others help with the purchase of a tree, we are willing to accept a collection of donations in memory of someone as payment for the tree.
What FOA Provides:
- Tree (Engelmann Spruce & Subalpine Fir – please let Tara know if you have a species preference)
- Logistics: we will do all the needed organization and communications with local authorities to make sure the trees are planted in appropriate sites with the appropriate permissions
- Tools needed to plant such as: shovels, gloves, watering receptacles, and hopefully enthusiastic volunteers to provide some extra hands
- Some supplemental watering during the fall of 2021 after the tree has been planted
- A photo report that documents the planting (hard copy and pdf)
- Global Positioning System(GPS) coordinates for the tree’s location
- A listing of your tree on our website (optional) and link to a memorial page for your loved one.
Tree Planting: We strongly encourage you to be a part of the planting; however we have recognized that not everyone will be able to participate. Under certain circumstances we may be able to secure volunteers to help plant memorial trees – please contact Tara Tannahill if you cannot attend the designated planting day. Also, if you cannot attend, please provide Tara with a short biography so that it can be read during the planting. We found this helpful last year in connecting our volunteers with the person they were planting the memorial tree for. This year we also have 100 Engelmann Spruce seedlings on hand for volunteers and memorial tree planters. All volunteers are required to sign a waiver and volunteer service agreement for work on USFS land. We appreciate your cooperation.
What to wear or bring to a tree planting:
- Sturdy, closed toe shoes & protective clothing
- Water & Food if needed
- Leather gloves if you want to use your own
- Friends of Alta
- Tree Utah
- Alta Environmental Center
- Alta Ski Area
Highway 210, Little Cottonwood Canyon
Alta, UT 84092 United States + Google Map